- Consolidated Revenue Growth Driven by Increases in UC Segment
- Net Income Rises Amid Successful Revenue Growth and Profitability/Expense Management Initiatives
- Conference Call Scheduled for Tomorrow, November 13, at 10:00 a.m. Eastern
PHILADELPHIA, PA — November 12, 2013 — Alteva (“Alteva” or the “Company”) (NYSE MKT: ALTV), a leading Unified-Communications-as-a-Service (“UCaaS”) provider, today announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2013 and recent corporate developments, including:
- Adjusted EBITDA* of $2.9 million in the third quarter 2013, an increase of 220% from $0.9 million for the same period in 2012
- UC revenues increased to $4.0 million in the third quarter of 2013, an increase of 27% excluding the USA Datanet business that was sold
- UC contributed a record level of 54% of third quarter consolidated revenues, up from 51% for the same period in 2012
- 38,787 users on Alteva’s hosted platform at the end of third quarter 2013, an increase of 11% of the installed base at the end of second quarter 2013 excluding USA Datanet seats
- Combined retail and wholesale seats in implementation equivalent to 4% of the installed base at end of third quarter of 2013
- Gross profit increased to $4.4 million in the third quarter 2013, an increase of 21% from $3.6 million for the same period in 2012
- Gross profit as a percentage of revenues increased to 58% in the third quarter of 2013 from 51% for the same period in 2012
- SG&A decreased to $5.2 million in the third quarter of 2013, a decrease of $1.0 million, or 16%, from $6.2 million for the same period in 2012
- Net income of $563,000 in the third quarter of 2013, or $0.09 per share, as compared to a $(922,000) net loss, or $(0.16) per share, for the same period in 2012
- Alteva received $3.25 million in cash distributions from Orange County-Poughkeepsie Limited Partnership (“O-P”) investment, which were recorded as other income in the third quarter of 2013
- Reduced bank debt at September 30, 2013 by $2.2 million or 15% from June 30, 2013
- Completed the sale of substantially all of the assets of the USA Datanet business effective September 1, 2013 for approximately $600,000. Resulted in the elimination of approximately $2 million non-core legacy UC revenue annually and approximately $3 million of expenses annually. Incurred $404,000 of non-recurring charges during the third quarter of 2013 related to the sale.
“Alteva’s third quarter results reflect our focus on profitable growth, financial strength, and the delivery of exceptional service to our customers. This focus continued to enhance our position within the most attractive segment of the Unified Communications market,” said David Cuthbert, Alteva’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “Our leading Unified-Communications-as-a-Service platform continues to demonstrate its value to our target markets, while offering substantial leverage that enables growth in our top and bottom lines.”
“For the third quarter we continued to deliver strong UCaaS revenue growth and improved profitability. While we expect our UC revenues to increase at an annual growth rate comparable to that of the overall UC market, we are committed to this growth with an emphasis on profitability and margin enhancements. Our sales and marketing efforts are successfully positioning Alteva as a premium service provider for middle market business customers. This is evidenced by the numerous record performance levels achieved in the third quarter of 2013 since entering the UC market, including new records for UC seats in service and UC revenues. At the same time, we reduced our bank debt by 15% from the end of the second quarter of 2013. Across the board, the third quarter was a success and sets us on a course for further improvement in the future as we continue to grow.”
Third Quarter 2013 Results
Revenues were $7.5 million in the third quarter of 2013, an increase of 7% from $7.1 million for the same period in 2012. Revenue increased 13% excluding the revenue from the USA Datanet business that was sold.
UC revenues were $4.0 million in the third quarter of 2013, an increase of 12% from $3.6 million for the same period in 2012. UC revenues increased 27% excluding the revenue from the USA Datanet business that was sold. As a percentage of consolidated revenue, the UC segment contributed approximately 54% of revenues in the third quarter of 2013 as compared with 51% for the same period in 2012. The increase in UC revenues was attributable to the addition of new clients and the increase in services to existing clients.
Telephone revenues were $3.5 million in the third quarter of 2013, as compared with $3.4 million for the same period in 2012. The Telephone segment contributed approximately 46% of revenues in the third quarter 2013 as compared with 49% for the same period of 2012. Telephone revenues were slightly higher as a result of an increase in access lines rates and modest growth in broadband Internet services revenues, partially offset by access line losses.
Gross profit increased by 21% to $4.4 million in the third quarter of 2013 from $3.6 million for the same period in 2012. Gross profit as a percentage of revenues was 58% in the third quarter 2013, as compared with 51% for the same period in 2012. The continued improvement in gross profit primarily reflects the substantial increase in revenues contributed by the UC segment and the Company’s ability to leverage its existing infrastructure, and impact of the cost reduction initiatives, including the USA Datanet sale and the previously disclosed workforce reduction in the Telephone segment.
Selling, general and administrative (“SG&A”) expenses in the third quarter of 2013 were $5.2 million, as compared with $6.2 million for the same period in 2012. The $1 million, or 16%, decrease in SG&A expenses was primarily associated with a reduction in wages, including the impact from the restructuring of the Telephone segment in the second quarter of 2013, other expense management initiatives implemented throughout the year, and higher severance charges incurred in the third quarter of 2012.
The Company incurred a $404,000 charge during the three months ended September 30, 2013 due to the disposal the USA Datanet operations.
Total other income for the third quarters of 2013 and 2012 was $3.1 million and $2.7 million, respectively. Other income included the income from the Company’s O-P investment of $3.25 million in the third quarters of 2013 and 2012.
For the third quarter of 2013, the Company had net income of $563,000, or $0.09 per basic and diluted common share, as compared to a net loss of $(922,000), or $(0.16) per basic and diluted common share, for the same period in 2012.
The Company will conduct a conference call to discuss second quarter results on November 13 at 10:00 a.m. eastern. Investors and other interested parties can listen to the call by dialing the participant number of 412-317-6789, no access code required, approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the conference call. A simultaneous webcast of the conference call can be accessed through Alteva’s website at www.alteva.com in the Investors section.
A replay of this conference call will also be available by dialing 877-344-7529 (toll free) or 412-317-0088, access code: 10036080, beginning 12:00 p.m. eastern on November 13, 2013 through December 6, 2013, and via the Company’s website at www.alteva.com.