8×8.com/live Documents the Leading Trends in How People Around the World Are Using Video Meeting Technology to Teach, Heal, Work, and Socialize
CAMPBELL, CA–March 27, 2020– 8×8, Inc. (NYSE:EGHT), a leading integrated cloud communications platform, today announced its findings from an analysis of the social conversations about 8×8 Video Meetings and its related open-source project Jitsi.org use cases. Additionally, 8×8 reported that the global monthly active users of 8×8 Video Meetings is nearly 4.5 million, as people adopt video conferencing technology with unprecedented velocity. A livestream of these social conversations, daily updates on usage stats, and other video meetings and remote work resources are available at 8×8.com/live.
Video Conferencing and Meetings Notable Stats:
- Video conferencing and meetings search volume is up 1,000% year over year.
- There were over 25,000 social conversations regarding 8×8 Video Meetings and Jitsi.org in the last 30 days.
- These comments represent approximately 25 percent of video conferencing social conversations since February 27, 2020.
- The top 5 countries for conversation in rank order are Germany, France, Spain, United States, and Italy.
Five Trending Dynamics:
- Privacy Makes a Public Statement: In light of exponential demand, the developer community rallied around the cause by standing up thousands of instances of Jitsi on their infrastructure to ensure access to free, stable video meetings. Posts from the open-source community have spiked over the last 24 hours widely applauding platforms for ensuring privacy, security, and the ability to host on their own servers.
- Can You Hear or See Me Now?: Developers and users note that voice, video quality, screen sharing and privacy is a cause for both choosing and switching video platforms.
- People are Social Creatures: Social gatherings, from support groups to parenting playdates and game nights to musical rehearsals, have taken the platform by storm. Yoga classes, karaoke nights, happy hours, and in every situation, there are people who are smiling, laughing, and persevering in the midst of uncertainty.
- Learning Is a Team Sport: Teachers, tutors, and students around the globe turn to 8×8 video as they find themselves unable to return to the classroom. In one case, a high school musical director used the platform to conduct a two-hour run through with his lead actors. Another moved all of her piano students onto the platform to maintain her regular lesson schedule.
- “Seeing” a Patient @Distance: For health and mental care professionals, they’re turning to the 8×8 platform to deploy eMedicine programs, offering to treat and diagnose patients over video. In one instance, a wellness specialist was hosting free sessions to help people cope with the significant economic and cultural changes that have come as a result of the coronavirus.
4.5 Million Video Meetings Monthly Active Users Globally; 1 Million Increase in Last 48 Hours
8×8 is the main contributor to the Jitsi.org open-source solution, and the standalone and integrated versions of 8×8 Video Meetings for business are based on it. The Jitsi.org code has been hardened with over a million downloads and in applications like banking video conferencing, education as a service platforms and home security applications globally. The product is packaged with 8×8 X Series for businesses that have a mobile and remote workforce requiring a highly reliable and resilient solution across desktop and mobile devices for voice, video, chat, contact center, APIs and advanced analytics. It is also available as a standalone offering and as part of 8×8 Express, which is for small organizations and teams that require a complete, preconfigured business phone system with a dedicated business number, video meetings and messaging in a single desktop and mobile application.
The free, standalone version of 8×8 Video Meetings, introduced to the public in November 2019, is available at https://8×8.vc, and includes international dial-in numbers in more than 55 countries. 8×8 Video Meetings utilizes the WebRTC standard which enables attendees to instantly join meetings without any downloads or plugins.
More at www.8×8.com.