Recognizes Ribbon’s commitment to creating a workplace where women can thrive
News 5 min read
New Cisco 800G Innovations Help to Supercharge the Internet for the Future by Improving Networking Economics and Sustainability for Service Providers and Cloud Providers
30 Mar, 2023
- Cisco’s new 28.8T / 36 x 800G line card, powered by the Cisco Silicon One P100 ASIC, is up to 6x more space efficient compared to current 400G solutions, supporting up to 15 Tbps per Rack Unit.
- Using Cisco 8000 Series Routers with the new line card, service providers and cloud providers can realize up to 83% space savings and up to 68% power savings migrating from 400G to 800G for IP backbone, metro core, and data centers supporting AI/ML workloads.
- New software innovations such as IOS XR Path Tracing and Crosswork Network Automation enhancements improve network visibility, insights, and action to simplify operations and improve connected experiences.
- Economics: With up to 83% space savings, customers can build denser networks using much of the same infrastructure to support use cases such as 5G, IoT, broadband and AI/ML. Other benefits include:
- By doubling the capacity in the same chassis footprint, the Cisco 8000 Series Router platform has up to twice the space efficiency over 400G single chassis systems.
- These 800G single chassis systems can now support equivalent traffic loads with up to 6x more space efficiency compared to current 400G distributed chassis solutions, by delivering up to 15 Tbps per Rack Unit.
- New 800G modular systems can also provide the equivalent bandwidth capacity with up to an estimated 68% savings in power compared to 400G solutions to help reduce operational costs.
- Sustainability: With up to 68% power savings, the 800G systems can help customers meet their sustainability goals.
- Assuming a single 800G system is in use 24 hours per day, 365 days per year, the potential energy savings over 400G systems would reduce GHG emissions by up to 215,838 CO2e per year.
- This amount of carbon savings is estimated to be equivalent to reducing carbon emissions from charging 40 million smartphones or burning 366,923 pounds of coal a year 
- Customers can also reuse common equipment when upgrading to 800G systems to help cut down on e-waste.
- Architectural Innovations: Powered by Cisco Silicon One P100 ASICs and Cisco pluggable optics, the new line card offers massive throughput for Cisco 8800 Series modular systems. Key features include:
- Advanced 100G SerDes technology allows customers to double current 400G port densities and increase by 8-fold current 100G port densities in the same form factor, supporting 72 x 400G and 288 x 100G ports per slot.
- Ability to scale up to 800G to support increasing traffic demands with four, eight, twelve, and 18-slot chassis. Customers can scale up to 518 Tbps capacity with a single 18-slot modular 800G system.
- Pay-as-you-grow Flexible Consumption Model helps customers futureproof their deployments by right-sizing the network, adding capacity over time to better align to business outcomes.
- Cisco’s new generation of pluggable optics provide investment protection through backwards compatibility with existing QSFP pluggable transceivers.
- Operational Simplicity: With advanced visualization dashboards, services monitoring with actionable insights, and closed-loop network optimization customers can ensure consistent services quality of experiences.
- With the latest enhancements in Crosswork Network Automation the speed at which network elements and services can be added has been significantly improved.
- New IOS XR Path Tracing provides hop-by-hop visibility of the packet’s path through the network.
- Read the Blog: Scaling the Internet for the Future with 800G Innovation, by Satish Surapaneni
- Mass-Scale Infrastructure for Core
- Cisco 8000 Series
- Cisco Silicon One
- Cisco Optics
- Crosswork Network Automation
- Cisco IOS XR Path Tracing